- 6V motors * 2
- Robot wheels (DC motor compatible)
- Acrylic (White * 1, Black * 1, Transparent * 1)
i. Design the graphic of the face and tear it down to different component in laser cutting files
I used white acrylic as the face part and I used black acrylic as mouth, eyes, and eyebrow.
ii. Laser cut the acrylics and glued the components to correspondent position
iii. Test the motors
iv. Mount the switch and motor
I was trying to mount the motors by connecting the screws to the holes on top of the motors. However, it didn’t work very well. The distance of the laser cut holes is not accurate and the size of the screws doesn’t fit into the holes. After that, I realized that the holes might not design to mount the motors. I couldn’t figure out a better way to mount it because I had laser cut all the materials and it was too late to re-do and re-design. As a result, I end up doing the guilty thing – glue it to the panel. Although this way is not that elegant, it worked pretty well.
v. Solder wires to connect the motors to the switch and the battery. Install them to the correspondent position.
vi. Do the same thing again with the second motor set
Initially, I intended to use the potentiometer to adjust the rotation speed of the motors. However, it doesn’t work the way I imagined. When the resistant of the potentiometer passes a threshold, the motor stops rotating. When the resistant of the potentiometer goes just below the threshold, the motor starts to rotate very fast. Hence, I end up using the potentiometer as another switch to control the other eye.
vii. Glue the eyes part with the robot wheel and connect them to the motors
viii. Connect different layers with standoffs